Cafe Elitistim

This weekend hasn't gone well, from mid-Friday or so onward. Maybe earlier.

My left eye is definitely out of focus, possibly causing my headaches and worse. I have made an emergency appointment to see the optometrist or whatever the "O.D." is at the university health clinic on Monday afternoon. I cannot keep fighting my eyesight, especially if that is the cause of my migraines.
I was invited to interview for an after school science program in St. Paul. I was excited, but the weekend stresses and the general hassles of my upcoming schedule may require that I decline the interview. The university is unsure where my office will even be this year. Annoying.

I thought part of my problem was a lack of social contact and mental stimulation. Being home alone day after day is taking a toll on me, but I also don't do well outside of the house in this relatively urban setting. I admit it — I want to be near malls and strip centers. I miss huge bookstores with cafes.

Friday night I had RSVP'd to join a dinner out with the GenX Minnesota Mensa. It was a horrible non-experience only cementing my views on the Twin Cities and the snobbery of some people.

We arrived ten minutes early at Signature Café, in St. Paul. The moment you see the accented é you know the place is either mocking itself or taking itself too seriously. I don't mind mockery, but this was a case of serious snobbery.

The menu was big clue that this was not a place for us. Nothing was affordable, at least not in our budget.

The "Beware of Attack Democrat" sign and "Air America" stickers were another clue that we would not be comfortable. Those items were next to flyers for a sailing class, pet portraiture, and "Chefs of Minnesota" day. Yes, we were in way over our heads. Typical of the Twin Cities, the Saabs and BMWs should have indicated to us we didn't belong. Our Hyundai Accent was probably considered an eyesore.

My back is very bad. I was in extreme pain and my allergies have been a problem. We asked to be seated and the response was, "We seat parties after everyone arrives." There wasn't a single person seated inside the cafe. Not one. Just a huge empty room of tables. Nice, when you have a customer in pain.

We tried to sit at the four-seat bar, but barstools are very bad for my back. The legs hanging low caused excruciatingly sharp pains in my lower back. I opted to stand.

After 30 minutes, about half spent standing, we left. By then, two others of the six reservations had arrived. I wasn't going to wait for two more people without a seat inside.

I hate the Twin Cities. I despise them. A lot. This experience did not help.

One reason I left was the question, "How do you like Minnesota?" wasn't going to get a very nice response. I'd tell them bluntly, "I cannot wait to leave. I'd even rather die than live one extra day here."
I've decided the low unemployment rate isn't a good sign. It's a sign that people are leaving, so jobless rates are low. Sure, you get low unemployment to brag about and high wages... but it is because everyone who can leave does. The rich don't have to care, since they can always travel to escape this hell when they want. Or build gigantic homes with game rooms for winter.

If we were rich, we'd live in the suburbs among the normal people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

The Autistic Tiger

Autism, Asperger's, and IQ