Kindle so-so for students, UW study concludes

Brier Dudley's Blog | Kindle so-so for students, UW study concludes | Seattle Times Newspaper

Seven months into the study, more than 60 percent of the students had stopped using their Kindle regularly for academic reading -- and these were computer science students, who are presumably more sympathetic to an electronic book.
I'm not surprised that an eReader doesn't replace books. Taking notes and highlighting are part of the reading process that a Kindle or other eReader doesn't easily replicate.

I recall what a page looks like, from the graphics to the pattern of paragraphs. On an eReader, I can't always locate where a bit of information is. You can't say it is on "Page X" because the pagination changes with font size and other choices a user can change.

Maybe my visual memory would learn to use an eBook? Does anyone else use visual cues the same way?

I also use multi-color "Post-It" notes to mark sections of books. They obviously sell a lot of those little flags, so I'm not alone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

The Autistic Tiger

Active Listening and Autism