Shaken, Not Stirred…

Sometimes, for no good reason, my legs and arms tremor. Okay, there is a good reason (a palsy in one arm, possible damage to a leg) but that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed by the tremors.

Last night, my right arm was trembling, starting while we were finishing dinner and continuing after I went to bed. My leg was soon shaking, too. Add in some back cramps and knee pain — not much sleep for me or my wife. I slept on the floor for a few hours, leading me to anticipate next week's arrival of our new living room furniture.

My body doesn't respond to my thoughts. Sometimes, I can sit and concentrate until the shaking stops. It is like meditation, focusing on the need to be still. I'm not someone to sit still normally, but still is much better than vibrating when you want to sleep.

I have tried various tips to reduce the palsy episodes. For a time, I was on medications for seizures and similar conditions. I can't recall if those medications helped with the tremors or not. My memory of the medicated years is fuzzy, at best. Because I get migraines, I don't drink caffeine and I avoid alcohol most of the time. I exercise, and I try to get sufficient sleep.

My wife says the right response is to simply accept the tremors. If they bother someone else, that's not my problem. But at night, they bother me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Active Listening and Autism

The Autistic Tiger