Empathy and Writing

Writing for stage requires some understanding of the motivations and emotions of the characters that appear before an audience. Sometimes you also have to appreciate unseen characters that either shaped or continue to shape events and other characters. Writing, therefore, is exercise in empathy and more.

If you cannot imagine how others feel, you cannot write effective dialogue. You must think like another person, and that person might be "good" or "bad" in ways the writer is not.

My writing process includes research, interviews, and working with a dramaturg. I recognize that I miss things, especially when what people say isn't what they mean. By working with collaborators, I learn more about people and writer better stories.

I was asked if my autistic traits make me a better, or worse, writer. I have no idea. What makes me a small success is that I listen to people and try to incorporate the best suggestions I receive into my works. I listen to the actors, director, dramaturg, tech crews, and audiences. I learn what I have overlooked and try to improve my craft.

It isn't autism that makes me a better writer. It is knowing my limits that makes me a good craftsman and maybe an artist.

Comments

  1. Insightful and engaging article. In fact, empathy is one of the interpersonal skills and is needed to develop good human relationships and in writing. thanks for sharing, i enjoyed reading this post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments violating the policies of this blog will not be approved for posting. Language and content should be appropriate for all readers and maintain a polite tone. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

The Autistic Tiger

Autism, Asperger's, and IQ