Skip to main content

Vision and Pain

I had eye surgery October 1 and am still recovering. It is also likely that I will have another surgery, but hopefully that will wait until after I take my Ph.D exams.

When the surgeon said the surgery and recovery would be "extremely painful" at least he told the truth. The eye hurts more than anything I can recall. How bad is it? I passed out from the pain during my first follow-up exam. I mean gone, as in no clear memory of the moments before I slid to the floor.

I'll write a lot more about this, probably in my personal notes. A simple exam turned into an all-day medical misadventure. Plus, they cut one of my favorite polo shirts on the way to the emergency room. I liked it because it was a cream-beige shirt that worked well with black and blue jeans.

My vision has been giving me headaches for a year, now. The surgery was to repair something called a "dot dystrophy" possibly caused by arthritis or a similar condition. So, now I need to plan visits to a rheumatologist (?) and a neurology clinic. Nothing like another year or two of medical experts.

I wanted to explain why I'm not writing much -- not that many people read my thoughts. I'm recovering, but it is like having ice picks or something in my eye. It hurts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

ABA and NARTH

There must be something better out there. I'm not sure what, but the more I interview functional adults with autism who received ABA-based or similar therapies, the more I know there must be a better approach. The problem is, I have no idea what that "better approach" is. I'm not a psychologist. I'm a language arts and autism specialist. My research is on how autistic students learn to master written communication (which doesn't really mean "written" in all cases). I am not a therapist. I am not a counselor. But there has to be a better way to help students and young children. I am not suggesting all ABA-based therapies in use today are bad. I sincerely believe ABA must be revised, researched, and ideally all connections to anything Lovaas did forgotten to history. I'd even like to see whatever evolution occurs to have a name other than "ABA-based therapy." The history and associations are that troubling. So, understand I'm ca...

More on Autism Puzzle Piece Logos, Symbols, Ribbons

I joined Twitter on the first day of 2011 ( @autisticme ). I also joined a Twibe (seriously?) and registered with WeFollow.com to learn more about what autism-related Twitter feeds might exist. Within a few days, I was already observing a familiar debate. In fact, it the debate I described in the single most-viewed blog entry of The Autistic Me, which dates back to 2008 (see " Logos, Symbols, and Ribbons "). Various "Aspie Advocates" are still protesting the puzzle piece. I'm sure they will be protesting the puzzle piece next year, in five years, and a decade from now. The "neurodiverstiy" (ND) movement doesn't like the puzzle piece. (Everyone's brain is different: neurological diversity is a fact of life.) Honestly, I don't care for the puzzle piece either. I've written and said that I find it personally off-putting. If I am a puzzle, I'm not more or less of a puzzle than most human beings. I'm told, "Oh, no, it is autism ...