Skip to main content

Microexpressions and Memorization

I recently spent some time studying microexpressions. The theory is that most humans, including some of the best liars and manipulators, briefly signal their true emotions via expressions that last only fractions of second. These microexpressions are involuntary.

My interest in this was triggered by a special on the human brain I saw on a cable channel. Supposedly, and I wonder about this, Secret Service agents scored the best as human lie detectors, while psychiatrists and other mental health professionals did no better than random college freshmen. (http://www.mettonline.com/) Paul Ekman has written several texts on this, as well has hosting a BBC special on the human face.

Here is the "autism" connection:

If I can study and memorize body language, with at least some success, why not teach microexpressions to individuals with high-functioning autism?

After a few days, I was scoring over 50% on simple microexpression tests. These are simple tests, of course, using videos of faces and asking the viewer to select from a range of emotions. The ability to recognize emotions visually is worth some study and review, at least in my experience.

I might never be "normal" in terms of evaluating non-verbal cues, but memorization seems to be working pretty well. In fact, I wonder if the fact I am analyzing and memorizing might not actually make me a better "reader" of human emotions over time.

If nothing else, the notion of teaching facial expressions deserves some thought.

Comments

  1. A very late comment, but more recent Paul Ekman related research is strongly suggesting the the ability to encode and decode micro expressions is inborn...

    Supposing, just supposing, that ia ALL autism really consists of, and absence of innate ability to read or write microexpressions? ...and everything else is either a coping mechanism or originates in our individual adaptation to the very different environment that deficit places us in, deviating further from the norm with every day that passes?

    Supposing, just supposing, that all it would take, not to "cure" but rather to "fix us up", perhaps even the low functioning non-verbals, would be training in microexpressions?

    Of course it would never become innate, but that is not necessarily a disadvantage, after all, we would be learning to "read" that language without any unconscious relex to "write" it in return?

    So, anyway, how have you fared with this since?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I have memorized, the better. I am always looking for new information on interactions, so I read a great deal of non-fiction. While I find I don't care for many of the rhetorical "tricks" employed, identifying and using some is important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been pondering the same idea myself, prompted by my devotion to the TV show Lie To Me. I've also been wondering about my poor scores in facial recognition, how much it is due simply to the inability to examine or look directly at a person's face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an unusual Aspie because I'm really very good at facial recognition, and also at reading expressions. I believe that I learned to interpret expressions out of necessity, because my mother had a very quick temper and one had to watch out for the "tells" that she was about to become violent or verbally abusive. I always was attentive to such details, but I also enjoy watching "Lie To Me" because the character has supposedly made a science of it and wrote a book on the subject of detecting deception, and emotions in general. Always interesting.

    I know that I slowly and deliberately learned to hide my own expressions, keep a poker face, because I assumed that others could read my expressions as easily as I could read theirs. Some people are better than others at doing that. I believe that it's a subject that is teachable, and like anything else, takes practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a high functioning Autist (174IQ)
    I use the analysis of micro expressions to understand what another person is thinking and feeling. I am extremely accurate, and can often interpret complex motivations and life experiences from the study of a moving face.
    It took me a long time to figure it out, I didn't get started until my early 20's was in my mid 30s before I was really good at it., and i really wish that this was taught in schools. It would have helped immensely .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flow, I am just a neurotypical writing a paper on girls with autism. Would you mind answering a couple questions?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments violating the policies of this blog will not be approved for posting. Language and content should be appropriate for all readers and maintain a polite tone. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

ABA and NARTH

There must be something better out there. I'm not sure what, but the more I interview functional adults with autism who received ABA-based or similar therapies, the more I know there must be a better approach. The problem is, I have no idea what that "better approach" is. I'm not a psychologist. I'm a language arts and autism specialist. My research is on how autistic students learn to master written communication (which doesn't really mean "written" in all cases). I am not a therapist. I am not a counselor. But there has to be a better way to help students and young children. I am not suggesting all ABA-based therapies in use today are bad. I sincerely believe ABA must be revised, researched, and ideally all connections to anything Lovaas did forgotten to history. I'd even like to see whatever evolution occurs to have a name other than "ABA-based therapy." The history and associations are that troubling. So, understand I'm ca...

More on Autism Puzzle Piece Logos, Symbols, Ribbons

I joined Twitter on the first day of 2011 ( @autisticme ). I also joined a Twibe (seriously?) and registered with WeFollow.com to learn more about what autism-related Twitter feeds might exist. Within a few days, I was already observing a familiar debate. In fact, it the debate I described in the single most-viewed blog entry of The Autistic Me, which dates back to 2008 (see " Logos, Symbols, and Ribbons "). Various "Aspie Advocates" are still protesting the puzzle piece. I'm sure they will be protesting the puzzle piece next year, in five years, and a decade from now. The "neurodiverstiy" (ND) movement doesn't like the puzzle piece. (Everyone's brain is different: neurological diversity is a fact of life.) Honestly, I don't care for the puzzle piece either. I've written and said that I find it personally off-putting. If I am a puzzle, I'm not more or less of a puzzle than most human beings. I'm told, "Oh, no, it is autism ...