Skip to main content

Fighting the Cold, My Body, etc.

I have been fighting the side-effects of the cold weather this winter. After being hospitalized with a low blood count, a week of nosebleeds from the dry air is the last thing I needed. Yesterday, I was late to my classroom because I had a 30-minute (seriously) nosebleed. The blood loss left me dizzy and exhausted. Then, I had several incidents today. I ended up asleep on top of the bed for nearly three hours. My body simply gave out after so much misery.

My left knee and left shoulder are very sore, too. I can't explain the knee issue, beyond slipping (but not falling) a few times on the ice. I catch myself, but it hurts. The shoulder pain is horrible. It's swollen, with a lump right near my neck. I have been told I also have a bursitis issue, which flares up in the cold weather.

My skin dries out so badly that I have tried to use more lotion and oils. The problem is that I hate the sensation of the oily skin treatments. Plus, I end up with acne. My pores apparently clog easily. What a lousy situation.

Anyway, simply recording the reasons I hate winters.

My greatest fear right now is losing so much blood I end up needing another transfusion, missing my doctoral exams. That would stink.

Oh, and my eye surgery was supposed to be scheduled for this semester and a navel hernia operation.

And people wonder why I'm not cheerful more often. Uhg.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

ABA and NARTH

There must be something better out there. I'm not sure what, but the more I interview functional adults with autism who received ABA-based or similar therapies, the more I know there must be a better approach. The problem is, I have no idea what that "better approach" is. I'm not a psychologist. I'm a language arts and autism specialist. My research is on how autistic students learn to master written communication (which doesn't really mean "written" in all cases). I am not a therapist. I am not a counselor. But there has to be a better way to help students and young children. I am not suggesting all ABA-based therapies in use today are bad. I sincerely believe ABA must be revised, researched, and ideally all connections to anything Lovaas did forgotten to history. I'd even like to see whatever evolution occurs to have a name other than "ABA-based therapy." The history and associations are that troubling. So, understand I'm ca...

More on Autism Puzzle Piece Logos, Symbols, Ribbons

I joined Twitter on the first day of 2011 ( @autisticme ). I also joined a Twibe (seriously?) and registered with WeFollow.com to learn more about what autism-related Twitter feeds might exist. Within a few days, I was already observing a familiar debate. In fact, it the debate I described in the single most-viewed blog entry of The Autistic Me, which dates back to 2008 (see " Logos, Symbols, and Ribbons "). Various "Aspie Advocates" are still protesting the puzzle piece. I'm sure they will be protesting the puzzle piece next year, in five years, and a decade from now. The "neurodiverstiy" (ND) movement doesn't like the puzzle piece. (Everyone's brain is different: neurological diversity is a fact of life.) Honestly, I don't care for the puzzle piece either. I've written and said that I find it personally off-putting. If I am a puzzle, I'm not more or less of a puzzle than most human beings. I'm told, "Oh, no, it is autism ...