Speaking, Job Hunting... Health Issue

I haven't had much time for personal writing, even the creative writing I have been pursuing this year. I've made two public speaking appearances this month, both two hours long. Thankfully, one was a panel discussion so I wasn't speaking nearly as much.

The academic job hunt has continued, subdued after last year. The applications have also taken a great deal of time. One university required four applications, though all four fell under one job description. I'm certain there's a legal reason for this, but it was a lot of work because they wanted so many documents. Not only did you have to submit the documents online, they asked applicants to mail copies of the documents, too.

The main reason I've only managed eight-hour days is that I'm dealing with some medical issues. I am anemic, with severely low hemoglobin and iron levels. Last time this happened, two years ago, I ended up spending Christmas Eve in the hospital getting a blood transfusion. On the positive side, I only missed one teaching day and kept on schedule with my doctoral exams. How many people can say they did well on tests with half the normal amount of hemoglobin? (Yes, low blood counts affect mental performance, supposedly.)

Trying to focus on the job hunt (and speaking) has been mildly difficult. I know I need a minor surgery to stop the blood loss, nothing serious, but it will mean yet more unproductive time.

I don't deal well with doctors (who does?) and hate medical procedures. However, you learn to adapt when you've had as many medical appointments as I have. At one point, I averaged one medical appointment a week. Thankfully, 2009 wasn't so bad.

Doctors do not listen well. As a result, I've asked my wife to join me for the serious appointments. She'll be more assertive with the doctors and tell them issues need to be solved immediately. More importantly, issues should be fixed before I land a job.

Ideally, things will be fine by the end of this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Active Listening and Autism

The Autistic Tiger