Moving (Again) and Home Owner Stress

We will be moving again in April, if things go according to plan. This will be our fourth move in the last five to six years. That might not sound like a lot of moving, but moving is stressful for everyone and extra stressful for two people with a need for order and routines.

Moving is a lousy experience. Things get damaged, misplaced, and general disorder reigns. We lost four desks in moves, including two I really liked. We were never compensated for those loses, either, with bothers me. I end up attached to desks (and other things). Desks are where we work. I write at my desks and they become part of my routine. I still have the desk my family purchased for me in high school (if not earlier — I cannot recall).

After we move, I do plan to replace both my computer and writing desks with a single desk. Sure, it won't be perfect, but I want to consolidate my work area. Plus, I want space for a scanner and other things I use frequently. (I like to scan books and documents for the text recognition.)

This move ideally will eliminate a great deal of home ownership stress. The house we initially purchased has quite a few little issues that need to be repaired. It could be a wonderful house. If we had endless funds available, I would consider paying to have many of the issues fixed because I love the neighborhood. However, I don't love it enough to pay what we would for a new house.

The new house is being built about 1.8 miles from the house we own now. It's also on a lot that is only slightly smaller (0.40 acre). Because it is near a large regional park, the smaller lot won't matter so much.

Moving two miles shouldn't be horrible, right? We can move a lot of the little things ourselves. There are things we cannot move, from the laundry appliances to our beds, but I'm hoping we can do so much that it only requires one trip by professional movers in a small truck.

I want this to be the last move we make for many years. That was the ideal with this house! I don't want to be moving again until I'm done teaching full-time at the university. Then, I want to retire back to the Southwest.

The new house is now the "goal" that keeps me from total meltdown in the current house. There are so many little things that the house is emotionally exhausting. A new house won't be perfect, but we also won't be dealing with constant water issues in the basement. The new driveway will be concrete; it won't wash away during storms. My wife and I will have separate offices in the new house, too, so I won't bother her while she's trying to work.

The new bathroom in the master bath is a major benefit to me. It will have a "soaking bath" and separate shower with a seat. Sometimes, I need to soak in water. Some autistic adults suggest water is soothing; I appreciate warm water because I have a bad back and some other issues. The shower is nice when you're in a hurry, but a bath is much nicer.

Moving at the end of my first year teaching in a new university position will be stressful, too. My employee review is at the end of the year, as I try to earn tenure, there are final student projects in April, and much more will be happening. But, moving is going to be a good thing. It can't be any worse than the stress of this house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Active Listening and Autism

The Autistic Tiger