Skip to main content

Follow-up Post: Any To-Do List Progress?

In an earlier post, I listed some of the goals for my weekend. Now, I offer the reality check.

My goals for this weekend included:

  • Finish unpacking our music collection. (No)
  • Verify technical books are in my database. (Yes)
  • Compose three to five blog posts. (Yes)
  • Edit a client project. (Slow progress, incomplete)
  • Update at least one Web page. (Some progress)
  • Work on my two research projects. (Very little progress)

The music collection wasn't a priority. I didn't manage to put any discs onto the shelves. It is a task I need to get done, since we need the CDs off the floor, but for now it will be a task I do when I need a break from the computer screens.

Verifying my inventory of tech books was important because I'm starting to program again. I can't always remember which books I own, especially since there are new editions of tech books almost annually. Actually, we have so many books on so many topics, I am updating my database to include most of the books we own on some topics. My wife has a database of her books, too; we need to cross-reference our lists. Admittedly, I have purchased two used copies of the same book at least once that I can recall. One of my goals is to keep better track of what I have read and what my opinions were of the books.

At least three blog posts are stored as drafts. I have another dozen started. I will try to have a total of five ready for release this week. For a few years now, my goal has been one post per week to each of five blogs. We've added a "fun" blog recently, but that doesn't need a schedule. The good news is, this post counts!

Editing a screenplay for a client is taking more time than anticipated. I made some silly typographical errors, which I need to correct. I also made some formatting and stylistic errors. The editing is incomplete, as of Sunday afternoon, but I plan to be working on the edits tonight. Still, it will be incomplete.

The Web page I hoped to complete this weekend became a team project. It is a bibliography, which we are linking to Amazon so readers can buy copies of the books we have consulted. I ended up passing the text files to my wife and she is going to add the Amazon code. She's much faster at the "copy-paste" routine than I am — and she makes fewer mistakes alphabetizing books!

Finally, the two research projects received only a few minutes of my time. That's okay, but I want to get the projects organized and ready for outlining. I hope to have the article and the book chapter outlined by the end of this month.

Not Listed, But Done

Fixed a website issue. I did get some work done on a website I administer for a non-profit organization, but it wasn't the client project I must complete. The website issues always fascinate me, so it was easy to focus and find the problems.

Made backups of my teaching data. Since I am not teaching this semester, it was a chance to do what I normally do each summer: archive the data and organize the files on my laptop. I'll finish the housecleaning in spare moments.


Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

Autism, Asperger's, and IQ

"Aren't people with Asperger's more likely to be geniuses? Isn't genius related to autism?" A university student asked this in a course I am teaching. The class discussion was covering neurological differences, free will, and the nature versus nurture debate. The textbook for the course includes sidebars on the brain and behavior throughout chapters on ethics and morality. This student was asking a question reflecting media portrayals of autism spectrum disorders, social skills difficulties, and genius. I did not address this question from a personal perspective in class, but I have when speaking to groups of parents, educators, and caregivers. Some of the reasons these questions arise, as mentioned above, are media portrayals and news coverage of autism. Examples include: Television shows with gifted characters either identified with or assumed to have autistic traits: Alphas, Big Bang Theory, Bones, Rizzoli and Isles, Touch, and others. Some would include

Free eBook on Autism and Relationships

This blog post is a bit unusual. I am testing to see if visitors can download a free eBook from this blog. I have linked to the file, which sits on our Web server. We have successfully tested the ePub edition of A Spectrum of Relationships . Only the abridged ePub edition is available for free at this time, not an Amazon Kindle edition, due to Amazon's policy requesting only full, commercial editions from small publishers. Until the text is revised and edited, I'm not comfortable publishing it formally. The commercial version will be released for the Amazon Kindle as well as other devices. In fact, it might be released first for the Kindle, if things go as planned. Downloading an ePub can be a challenge: some browsers try to open the file directly. To download the ePub, you might have to "right-click" and download the linked file. If you have the ePub extension installed, the FireFox browser will open the ePub correctly. A Spectrum of Relationships (ePub file) [