Music and Life

Music is important to me. It's not quite an obsession, and I'm not a scholar by any means, but music occupies a significant part of my life.

When I work at my computer or write at my desk, I like to listen to music. It's in the background, blocking all those other sounds that distract me. Music is my "white noise" while I work on projects.

Sound quality matters to me.

Recently, I reimported my favorite CDs into iTunes because, back in the day, 128kbps was what my hard drive could hold, and I skipped so-so tracks back then. But, the tracks sounded "tinny" to me with better headphones, earbuds, or via the home stereo. At 256kbps I can't tell the difference between the CD with these tracks with headphones. (Maybe it is my age, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference unless sitting in a silent room.)

I opted against ALAC / AIFF for now because of space. Yes, I have that many CDs and I'm not always connected to the interwebs. If we someday buy a RAID system, I'll migrate my music library to lossless files formats. Even then, I'd only reimport the music I listen to on a regular basis, as I come across discs that I liked a lot.

Completeness matters, too.

I don't like "holes" in my music library, not even if an album by a favorite band was only okay. There's something about missing a CD that bothers me, like missing a book from a series. Bands and musicians evolve; if you're missing one album, you're missing part of the complete story of that musical evolution.

My Collection

My tastes are not that unique for someone born in the late 1960s. Being raised during the 1970s, I appreciate what might have been the most varied period popular music. Give me the Beatles, Stones, Grateful Dead, and Pink Floyd. I also appreciate surf rock, with the guitars and drums. There's a uniformity even researchers have identified within 1980s pop that lacks the complexity the previous three decades. Yet, I admit that 80s pop with its synthesizers and drum machines is comfortably familiar. The "New Wave" and "Post-Punk" sounds of The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Police… everyone knows the 1980s KROQ playlist.

Celtic, classical, jazz, techno, pop, and metal — I own a bit of everything.

Music reminds of people, places, and events in our lives. Each CD I own means something, a connection that compelled me to add to my collection.

Comments

  1. Like you I get restless if I am missing a CD in a collection of a favourite artist and spend too much time on ebay trying to plug holes like that - and I'm not even on the spectrum ;-). I do like completeness though in all aspects of life and hate loose ends. maybe I am on the spectrum just never diagnosed. Nice blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My musical son is the same way--with collecting things in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really enjoyed looking around your blog. I am a 23 year old autistic student studying online in New Zealand. I am just over halfway through a Diploma in Creative Writing. Currently I am doing a paper in Creative Non-fiction and we are looking at blogs as examples of this. We share a love of writing and good music. I am a fan of Pink Floyd, Queen, Leonard Cohen, Michael Jackson, Jethro Tull and some Dire Straits. I am looking forward to exploring more of your past blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments violating the policies of this blog will not be approved for posting. Language and content should be appropriate for all readers and maintain a polite tone. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Active Listening and Autism

The Autistic Tiger