Skip to main content

Gabi and Mary Angelini of Gabi’s Grounds


Gabi and Mary Angelini of Gabi’s Grounds join The Autistic Me for this episode of The Autistic Me. Gabi discusses her quest for fulfilling employment, being bullied, and much more.

From Gabi and Mary:

Gabi is a 24-year-old active, motivated adult with Down Syndrome. When she wanted to find a job, she searched and applied for many positions but could not get hired. She has big dreams and wants to be a productive member of society as well as to be active in the workplace.

There are many others like her, with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Currently, 82.5% of IDD individuals of all ages are unemployed. We launched Gabi’s Grounds Coffee in 2017 to give her and others the opportunity to be productive, responsible employees.

We are not just telling people they should hire people with disabilities; we are doing it! We are leading by example. We have just secured warehouse space in Raleigh and hired 34 people with special abilities and we are searching for a suitable location for a storefront.

As a result of the launch and continued work of Gabi’s Grounds, Gabi herself has blossomed into a creative, confident, woman who goes around the country inspiring others with IDD. She was honored with the 2019 Self-Advocate of the Year Award by the Triangle Down Syndrome Network.

Our success will be measured in the number of individuals with special abilities we hire and in their level of increased self-fulfillment in having a meaningful job and participation in our education programs.

Gabi's Grounds Coffee and Gabi's PALS (Packaging,  Assembling, Labeling, Shipping)

Website: https://www.gabisgrounds.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gabisgrounds/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/gabisgrounds

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_TXSCCgUN91y-W89GI09ew?

#BrewingEmpowerment

The Autistic Me:

 


Check out this episode!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

ABA and NARTH

There must be something better out there. I'm not sure what, but the more I interview functional adults with autism who received ABA-based or similar therapies, the more I know there must be a better approach. The problem is, I have no idea what that "better approach" is. I'm not a psychologist. I'm a language arts and autism specialist. My research is on how autistic students learn to master written communication (which doesn't really mean "written" in all cases). I am not a therapist. I am not a counselor. But there has to be a better way to help students and young children. I am not suggesting all ABA-based therapies in use today are bad. I sincerely believe ABA must be revised, researched, and ideally all connections to anything Lovaas did forgotten to history. I'd even like to see whatever evolution occurs to have a name other than "ABA-based therapy." The history and associations are that troubling. So, understand I'm ca...

More on Autism Puzzle Piece Logos, Symbols, Ribbons

I joined Twitter on the first day of 2011 ( @autisticme ). I also joined a Twibe (seriously?) and registered with WeFollow.com to learn more about what autism-related Twitter feeds might exist. Within a few days, I was already observing a familiar debate. In fact, it the debate I described in the single most-viewed blog entry of The Autistic Me, which dates back to 2008 (see " Logos, Symbols, and Ribbons "). Various "Aspie Advocates" are still protesting the puzzle piece. I'm sure they will be protesting the puzzle piece next year, in five years, and a decade from now. The "neurodiverstiy" (ND) movement doesn't like the puzzle piece. (Everyone's brain is different: neurological diversity is a fact of life.) Honestly, I don't care for the puzzle piece either. I've written and said that I find it personally off-putting. If I am a puzzle, I'm not more or less of a puzzle than most human beings. I'm told, "Oh, no, it is autism ...