Skip to main content

Surj on The Light Between the Oceans


SURJ BIO:

For as much as he’s known for creating soundtracks to people's daily lives, SURJ asserts himself as a storyteller, first and foremost. His songs engage audiences everywhere by converting the magic around him into anthems we can all sing. After introducing himself with his debut album All Things True, he landed a global smash with band Space Between Us in the form of “Filter” & "Paris In Spring" SURJ is kicking off 2023 with a new chapter of music that celebrates the importance of living in the now and untangling the complexities of life. Hear his most personal story yet on his second full-length solo album, The Light Between the Oceans.

The Light Between the Oceans is an anthem of hope for uncertain times. So many of us are walking around with more than we can carry on. Being our adult selves can be so different from what we thought our adult selves would be like. Realizing growing up is not what we thought it was, life is not going to look the way we think it is, and even when it does, it doesn't make us happy. Realizing the ultimate light in our lives, it is crucial to avoid just running through the motions. "This snapshot, I pray, gives you a reservoir of hope based on a foundation full of light," says SURJ. 

SURJ Links:

The Autistic Me:

 


Check out this episode!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

ABA and NARTH

There must be something better out there. I'm not sure what, but the more I interview functional adults with autism who received ABA-based or similar therapies, the more I know there must be a better approach. The problem is, I have no idea what that "better approach" is. I'm not a psychologist. I'm a language arts and autism specialist. My research is on how autistic students learn to master written communication (which doesn't really mean "written" in all cases). I am not a therapist. I am not a counselor. But there has to be a better way to help students and young children. I am not suggesting all ABA-based therapies in use today are bad. I sincerely believe ABA must be revised, researched, and ideally all connections to anything Lovaas did forgotten to history. I'd even like to see whatever evolution occurs to have a name other than "ABA-based therapy." The history and associations are that troubling. So, understand I'm ca...

More on Autism Puzzle Piece Logos, Symbols, Ribbons

I joined Twitter on the first day of 2011 ( @autisticme ). I also joined a Twibe (seriously?) and registered with WeFollow.com to learn more about what autism-related Twitter feeds might exist. Within a few days, I was already observing a familiar debate. In fact, it the debate I described in the single most-viewed blog entry of The Autistic Me, which dates back to 2008 (see " Logos, Symbols, and Ribbons "). Various "Aspie Advocates" are still protesting the puzzle piece. I'm sure they will be protesting the puzzle piece next year, in five years, and a decade from now. The "neurodiverstiy" (ND) movement doesn't like the puzzle piece. (Everyone's brain is different: neurological diversity is a fact of life.) Honestly, I don't care for the puzzle piece either. I've written and said that I find it personally off-putting. If I am a puzzle, I'm not more or less of a puzzle than most human beings. I'm told, "Oh, no, it is autism ...