Shame on Me?

I was informed recently, "People like you should be progressive Democrats because Republicans don't care about people." Activists are always blinded by prejudices... and if you decline to state an affiliation, they assume the "worst" and try to save your political soul.

And people wonder why there is so much venom and vitriol in politics?

I know a lot of caring, supportive, and generous people. They come from all walks of life, all geographies, all religious, and all political backgrounds. One slice of America does not have a monopoly on "caring" about people like me.

Autism, palsies, seizures, scoliosis, and whatever else might constitute the characteristics of "me" are not restricted to a specific population. "We" are not a uniform group, whoever we are. If anything, members of the Dramatists Guild or university humanities departments are more uniform in beliefs and biases.

I don't want to be told what I should believe. I am not rushing to join a party. (I've joined several over the years to receive their mailings. Does that count?) I like to contemplate quietly, alone, and come to my own decisions. One aspect of my existence does not dictate who I am or to what groups I belong. I define myself... period.

Most people do care. I'm not about to judge "caring" about others based on political affiliations -- that's simply shallow and judgmental. A lot of good people exist, if you're willing to move
beyond stupid labels.

Shame on me... I like "Declines to State" as a party. Just treat me with respect and I'll try to do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

The Autistic Tiger

Active Listening and Autism