Dealing with Travel

Friday I had to make a round-trip to Pittsburgh, via commuter jet. I hate flying. I hate the supposed "security" measures that cause long lines for minimal actual security. I hate the cramped jets, too. Flying simply isn't fun -- it is hours of stress.

I didn't have much choice, either. I don't belong to any "Sky Miles" program, so I have to deal with the longer lines. I don't like to fly enough to want to have frequent flier miles. Ideally, I wouldn't fly more than once every two or three years. I didn't have to go through any new scanners, didn't have to be carefully inspected, etc. No, I just had to stand in a security line for an hour and ten minutes. That's insane. Of course people get angry with the system: it is stupid.

The smell of airline Biscoff cookies (http://www.biscoff.com/) still lingers in my mind. I don't mind the cookies, but the mix of peanut and cookie smell on the plane was overwhelming. Actually, I love the cookies. I simply hate the sounds and smells in an enclosed space.

People with too much cologne or perfume are a real nuisance on planes. The mix of various scents, some in conflict with each other, was headache inducing. A young lady nearby was listening to music that reached me at the same volume of my home stereo. It wasn't good music, either. If the flight lasted more than two hours, I would have been unable to function at all.

I don't travel well no matter how I travel. I like my own bed. I like my house. I like my routines. Travel upsets everything. It requires two or three days to get back to normal, even if I'm merely driving somewhere for a day trip. The exceptions, sometimes, were drives to the California Coast, but that's sort of like staying at home. When you're from Central California, San Luis Obispo and Pismo are really just Valley towns with better views.

But, this was an essential trip and probably worth the stress.

Saturday I was unable to think clearly, so my wife and I went to the local conservatory. It was the start of the Spring Flower Show in the Sunken Gardens. It's hard not to like flowers. I dealt with the trip by reminding myself I'd spend some time in gardens. Sunday was unproductive, as well. I was tense for most of the day, second guessing various aspects of my trip.

The trip was work-related, which is why I endured it. My wife and I won't know the results of the trip for a few weeks. She reminds me that I need to always consider what I want and can do, not what others might believe I should do. I'm still focused on writing, Web work, and some public speaking. Any big change would have to be for a great job.

I'm driving to St. Cloud again this week for a presentation to students from three high schools. I'll certain it will be exhausting, since a long drive hurts my back and shoulders. Still, it is also worth it, I believe. I'd like to think every appearance matters and helps change some views about disability and success.

I'll be back to posting on academic writing and autism in a day or two. I have started the next entry in the series: organizing ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Active Listening and Autism

The Autistic Tiger