Skip to main content

Too Much To Do, Too Little Energy

I have a long, long list of projects in various stages of completion (or incompletion) that I want to finish. More pressing, I have deadlines for work and clients that cannot be ignored, either. Finally, my wife and I have a house to get ready to sell. Work on our new house can wait… it has to wait.

The projects that must be done first are those for the courses I'm teaching this summer. I have three or four more lectures to outline, stacks of papers to grade, and then there are two more weeks to teach — including final exams and papers. After summer school ends, I also have to develop an editing course for this fall, before mid-August. There's little "free time" for other tasks at the moment.

Like many people, I keep a "to-do list" to help organize myself, but it never seems to shrink. Why is that? Why are my time management skills and whatever plans carefully make insufficient to catch-up with the list?

Of course, the first question to ask is if my "to-do" list has that many rush projects. What is a "must" and what is only a "want" on the list? Working all the time isn't healthy, so setting priorities matters.

Okay, I can't delay school projects. Those deadlines are set by a calendar. I can't push clients aside, because they have deadlines, too. These leaves the things I want to accomplish… and those things keep getting delayed year after year after year.

My blogging schedule, which was supposed to help me post an article to each of my blogs every week, gave way during the last year. Other writing plans also fell apart, despite careful outlines and schedules. My master schedule just didn't seem to work as planned. Moving (twice), losing two pets, starting a new job, and medical issues kept interfering with my plans. Life gets in the way of schedules.

What's really frustrating is that each project on my to-do list should be a full-time job if I ever want to finish anything.

So, how can I cram 48 hours into the 12 to 18 hours I have each day?

Comments

  1. The "to do" list never shrinks. It just changes jobs that need to be done.

    One trick I did while in Engineering was to make a time table, fill in the courses, and then fill in when I was going to do what. Sometimes I stuck to it, sometimes something came up, but it was flexible and only a week or so long.

    It's amazing how much time there is, when you lay it out like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments violating the policies of this blog will not be approved for posting. Language and content should be appropriate for all readers and maintain a polite tone. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

ABA and NARTH

There must be something better out there. I'm not sure what, but the more I interview functional adults with autism who received ABA-based or similar therapies, the more I know there must be a better approach. The problem is, I have no idea what that "better approach" is. I'm not a psychologist. I'm a language arts and autism specialist. My research is on how autistic students learn to master written communication (which doesn't really mean "written" in all cases). I am not a therapist. I am not a counselor. But there has to be a better way to help students and young children. I am not suggesting all ABA-based therapies in use today are bad. I sincerely believe ABA must be revised, researched, and ideally all connections to anything Lovaas did forgotten to history. I'd even like to see whatever evolution occurs to have a name other than "ABA-based therapy." The history and associations are that troubling. So, understand I'm ca...

More on Autism Puzzle Piece Logos, Symbols, Ribbons

I joined Twitter on the first day of 2011 ( @autisticme ). I also joined a Twibe (seriously?) and registered with WeFollow.com to learn more about what autism-related Twitter feeds might exist. Within a few days, I was already observing a familiar debate. In fact, it the debate I described in the single most-viewed blog entry of The Autistic Me, which dates back to 2008 (see " Logos, Symbols, and Ribbons "). Various "Aspie Advocates" are still protesting the puzzle piece. I'm sure they will be protesting the puzzle piece next year, in five years, and a decade from now. The "neurodiverstiy" (ND) movement doesn't like the puzzle piece. (Everyone's brain is different: neurological diversity is a fact of life.) Honestly, I don't care for the puzzle piece either. I've written and said that I find it personally off-putting. If I am a puzzle, I'm not more or less of a puzzle than most human beings. I'm told, "Oh, no, it is autism ...