Skip to main content

Bad Advice: "Just Ignore the Jerks" and My Memory

Ignoring people isn't something I can do. There is no "polite mode" with my lack of executive function. If someone is a jerk, I tell the person, at that moment. That's something non-autistics never quite grasp, either. My wife has known me for 30 years and forgets that I have no mental editor. Unfortunately, I also relive moments, visually and aurally, for years after the incident. It is a mental film loop, playing repeatedly every day of my life. It is unpleasant, especially since one bad moment with a person or group is the moment that sticks with me for decades. If someone is rude, insulting, or cruel, that person has become a life-long miserable memory that can be triggered by the slightest thing.

So, the best option is to avoid potential jerks.

Comments

  1. I hear that all the time from my husband. "Just don't think about it!" Oh, why didn't I think of that???

    If only it were that simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 
When therapists found out that my homelife was full of problems they just 'knew' that that was why I was 'introverted'.
When I questioned their assumptions they (like many non-professionals) reacted to each 'outburst' as if it was a 'sudden change in attitude' or, worse, evidence of 'an anger problem'.

In truth, I 'challenged' them because I didn't understand how they couldn't know how hostile 'society' is ~ it was the only way I could stop my brain seizing up from the shock of finding out that even therapists would rather with-hold info ( even from those who need it most) than improve the situation.
When I learned that psychologists don't like to admit they don't understand such things I became 'obsessed' with learning why.
But it was their reluctance to credit me with any sense that repeatedly offended me ...and as my well-being was in their hands I couldn't afford to 'just let it go'.

None of that occurred to them ...for the most part because I wasn't supposed to notice or know things that they themselves didn't notice / know.
My being a red-head also 'gave' some people an excuse to disregard my complaints about the social injustices that made it impossible for me to know who I might trust ...who might not invade my space but might inspire me intellectually and, thereby, bring me some social relief.
That it was easier for them to believe I was suggesting that some people are born wise just showed how closed their minds were to the possibility that some of us understand more about our experiences on this planet than they're taught to believe is possible.

Basically, the same education system that restricts what we can learn during a large part of our day / life, restricts what trainee psychologists learn at university; all the sciences are specialist subjects ...concerning details that are not to be freely shared even with (or especialy with?) those professionals who wish to offer their clients a genuinely sympathetic ear.
That most adults have been taught to ignore or excuse that reality means that an autistic child is unlikely to meet many sincere adults during the nightmare of their own assimilation ~ I believe many autistic people, especially young children, pick up on such B S.
Just because we can't name such [often subtle] negative vibes (/ can't read minds), let alone provide proof that certain people are knowingly, or unwittingly, obstructing our learning, doesn't mean we're paranoid or 'oversensitive'.

Those who are actively embarrassed by our un-editable responces to that dreadful reality, and to all the prejudices employed to maintain a divided healthy response to systematically-produced ignorance, would do good to be as embarrassed by prejudice itself. JJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments violating the policies of this blog will not be approved for posting. Language and content should be appropriate for all readers and maintain a polite tone. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

ABA and NARTH

There must be something better out there. I'm not sure what, but the more I interview functional adults with autism who received ABA-based or similar therapies, the more I know there must be a better approach. The problem is, I have no idea what that "better approach" is. I'm not a psychologist. I'm a language arts and autism specialist. My research is on how autistic students learn to master written communication (which doesn't really mean "written" in all cases). I am not a therapist. I am not a counselor. But there has to be a better way to help students and young children. I am not suggesting all ABA-based therapies in use today are bad. I sincerely believe ABA must be revised, researched, and ideally all connections to anything Lovaas did forgotten to history. I'd even like to see whatever evolution occurs to have a name other than "ABA-based therapy." The history and associations are that troubling. So, understand I'm ca...

More on Autism Puzzle Piece Logos, Symbols, Ribbons

I joined Twitter on the first day of 2011 ( @autisticme ). I also joined a Twibe (seriously?) and registered with WeFollow.com to learn more about what autism-related Twitter feeds might exist. Within a few days, I was already observing a familiar debate. In fact, it the debate I described in the single most-viewed blog entry of The Autistic Me, which dates back to 2008 (see " Logos, Symbols, and Ribbons "). Various "Aspie Advocates" are still protesting the puzzle piece. I'm sure they will be protesting the puzzle piece next year, in five years, and a decade from now. The "neurodiverstiy" (ND) movement doesn't like the puzzle piece. (Everyone's brain is different: neurological diversity is a fact of life.) Honestly, I don't care for the puzzle piece either. I've written and said that I find it personally off-putting. If I am a puzzle, I'm not more or less of a puzzle than most human beings. I'm told, "Oh, no, it is autism ...