Jobs and Autism

This post links back to Comet's Corner and I encourage visitors to read the comments there.

One of the important questions we face right now is how to help individuals locate employment. This is a problem across all socioeconomic divisions and for people with or without any special needs. But, what can we do for individuals with ASDs? Is there anything we can do right now?

At the Autism Society of America conference, I was asked several times if I had any career / general employment tips for people with ASDs. While I have some advice, the reality is that in the current high-unemployment environment it is not unusual for gifted college graduates to be unemployed. Things are tough, period.

I do have a presentation I use when talking about job skills and ASDs, but those skills don't matter to people who cannot even get job interviews. So, maybe some of my readers have general job hunting tips. I can offer advice on workplaces and their complexity, but first you have to be in a workplace.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the link, CS. I think it would be a hell of an idea for an Autreat presentation if someone could work up a thing doing "practice job interviews". I know there are pointers out there for NTs for doing job interviews, but none of them are autistic-specific. They could also hand out job applications for practice filling them out. Some time could also be spent on teaching how to write resumes. Examples of good resumes could be distributed.

    If someone were to work up such a presentation, they could get free registration at Autreat for doing it. (Quite a value)

    You're right, the economy is in the crapper right now, and jobs are hard to find. Good luck to you in your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freelancing is about the best I can locate for now. I've always preferred being my own boss or in management.

    I like the idea of a job skills presentation that goes beyond basic checklists and tips for people. I have taught "business writing" courses, including résumé writing for the last four years. Might be worth helping with such a presentation for others.

    Interviewing is an art. You have to determine so much about the interviewer in a moment, deciding then how to react to that person (or panel). I had several interviews with universities this year and did not receive any final job offers -- but several had to cancel their openings due to budget cuts.

    Let us hope things improve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments violating the policies of this blog will not be approved for posting. Language and content should be appropriate for all readers and maintain a polite tone. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Active Listening and Autism

The Autistic Tiger