A new job creates the following disruptions to which most people I know relate:
- Relief that someone values my research interests and writings;
- Anxiety of learning a new set of colleagues and their personalities;
- Fear of not meeting expectations within the organization;
- Eagerness to learn as much about the new position and its duties as possible;
- Sadness (limited, however) that we will be leaving a familiar place; and
- Dread of moving and having to learn a new area — much less a new house!