Skip to main content

When a House is a Mess

My wife and I bought a "distressed property" four years ago (roughly) and have been renovating it ever since. I hate the mess, the disorder, the general state of "flux" that is necessary during a remodeling project. However, I also love some of the end results. The bedrooms are pretty nice, especially the closet organizers, and I absolutely love the tile work my wife did in several places. We have a gorgeous serving counter in the dining room, thanks to her efforts.

Tomorrow, the projects resume with the arrival of springtime weather. Winters are simply too cold and too snowy to get much done.

A bathroom and a closet are being re-textured tomorrow. That means a pair of workers in our house -- something I dislike as much as the cats dislike it. Two of our cats will spend the day hiding under beds. I can't join them, but I do understand the stress caused.

These are the last "big" projects on the house. We've had the chimney repaired, all windows replaced, and we've installed new flooring throughout. I'm glad to see the end is near. It has taken a lot of time and even more sweat (and blisters, blood, etc.) to get the house to this point.

I've compared this to a four-year moving project. Some things are still in boxes as we work on the house. I still can't always remember which boxes have which items. It is disconcerting to have things so disorganized for years at a time.

Just as we finish the house, our goal is to "upgrade" and start this process again! Why? Because projects like this are one of the few ways for people to upgrade in today's economy. It's a tremendous effort, for hopefully a little bit of a gain.

I am not "designed" for work like this. I hate noise, dirt, dust, and disorder. You can imagine how fun this has been for my wife, too. She's had to tolerate the days when I simply couldn't do any more, for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, tomorrow will be… not fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

ABA and NARTH

There must be something better out there. I'm not sure what, but the more I interview functional adults with autism who received ABA-based or similar therapies, the more I know there must be a better approach. The problem is, I have no idea what that "better approach" is. I'm not a psychologist. I'm a language arts and autism specialist. My research is on how autistic students learn to master written communication (which doesn't really mean "written" in all cases). I am not a therapist. I am not a counselor. But there has to be a better way to help students and young children. I am not suggesting all ABA-based therapies in use today are bad. I sincerely believe ABA must be revised, researched, and ideally all connections to anything Lovaas did forgotten to history. I'd even like to see whatever evolution occurs to have a name other than "ABA-based therapy." The history and associations are that troubling. So, understand I'm ca...

More on Autism Puzzle Piece Logos, Symbols, Ribbons

I joined Twitter on the first day of 2011 ( @autisticme ). I also joined a Twibe (seriously?) and registered with WeFollow.com to learn more about what autism-related Twitter feeds might exist. Within a few days, I was already observing a familiar debate. In fact, it the debate I described in the single most-viewed blog entry of The Autistic Me, which dates back to 2008 (see " Logos, Symbols, and Ribbons "). Various "Aspie Advocates" are still protesting the puzzle piece. I'm sure they will be protesting the puzzle piece next year, in five years, and a decade from now. The "neurodiverstiy" (ND) movement doesn't like the puzzle piece. (Everyone's brain is different: neurological diversity is a fact of life.) Honestly, I don't care for the puzzle piece either. I've written and said that I find it personally off-putting. If I am a puzzle, I'm not more or less of a puzzle than most human beings. I'm told, "Oh, no, it is autism ...