Skip to main content

Experts critique statistics, conclusion of autism twin study - News & Commentary - Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative (SFARI)

Experts critique statistics, conclusion of autism twin study - News & Commentary - Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative (SFARI):
"For example, in March, Shiva Singh's group at the University of Western Ontario analyzed the genomes of identical twins among whom only one twin has schizophrenia. Singh's team found that identical twins carry different spontaneous genetic mutations."
It is difficult for many laypeople, and even some with science backgrounds, to accept that "genetic" does not mean hereditary. I've written about this several times. Genes mutate during development of the fetus. During the first six to eight stages of development, minor errors in replication can affect all future development. Changing one cell among millions isn't so bad. Changing one cell among hundreds? That leads to potentially serious spontaneous genetic replication ("copy number variant") errors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Burnout

Summer demands a lot of social energy, especially for parents. For autistics, the never-ending social calendar of summer can cause serious autistic burnout. Host C. S. Wyatt discusses his need to find a balance between social demands and self-care. Check out this episode!

ABA and NARTH

There must be something better out there. I'm not sure what, but the more I interview functional adults with autism who received ABA-based or similar therapies, the more I know there must be a better approach. The problem is, I have no idea what that "better approach" is. I'm not a psychologist. I'm a language arts and autism specialist. My research is on how autistic students learn to master written communication (which doesn't really mean "written" in all cases). I am not a therapist. I am not a counselor. But there has to be a better way to help students and young children. I am not suggesting all ABA-based therapies in use today are bad. I sincerely believe ABA must be revised, researched, and ideally all connections to anything Lovaas did forgotten to history. I'd even like to see whatever evolution occurs to have a name other than "ABA-based therapy." The history and associations are that troubling. So, understand I'm ca...

More on Autism Puzzle Piece Logos, Symbols, Ribbons

I joined Twitter on the first day of 2011 ( @autisticme ). I also joined a Twibe (seriously?) and registered with WeFollow.com to learn more about what autism-related Twitter feeds might exist. Within a few days, I was already observing a familiar debate. In fact, it the debate I described in the single most-viewed blog entry of The Autistic Me, which dates back to 2008 (see " Logos, Symbols, and Ribbons "). Various "Aspie Advocates" are still protesting the puzzle piece. I'm sure they will be protesting the puzzle piece next year, in five years, and a decade from now. The "neurodiverstiy" (ND) movement doesn't like the puzzle piece. (Everyone's brain is different: neurological diversity is a fact of life.) Honestly, I don't care for the puzzle piece either. I've written and said that I find it personally off-putting. If I am a puzzle, I'm not more or less of a puzzle than most human beings. I'm told, "Oh, no, it is autism ...